Thursday, February 9, 2012

Another tribal sheikh bites the dust

As much as I know that I should completly move on and forget about NE Diyala Province, I can't help but keep tabs on some of the major events that occur in that little corner of Iraq that 1-14 spent a year in.

That said, the other day a sheikh of a minor tribe of As Sadiyah was killed by a bomb placed in his car. The sheikh was from the al-Asakira tribe and to be honest if I ever knew anything about that tribe it escapes me now. As Sadiyah was the town just south of COP Cobra and was actually a series of villages that became neighborhoods of As Sadiyah. For many of the neighborhoods one tribe would be the majority of the residents and I suspect the Asakira are one of those tribes.

What does this attack mean?

Having no other information other than it seems pretty apparent somebody was trying to kill him I can't really say for sure. It's likely he just angered somebody but it also have been a political hit. Perhaps this sheikh was too friendly towards the Kurds, or maybe he was active in removing Al Qaida cells from his neighborhood. Whatever the case, it appears that there is still an insurgent cell or two conducting operations (unless it was indeed political and in that case, Iraqi politics as usual).

No comments:

Post a Comment