Sunday, September 16, 2012

What I've Been Reading

Back in the beginning of my second Iraq deployment in 2006 I came across a series of articles in The Christian Science Monitor that were written by journalist Jill Carroll. Carroll had been working as a freelance journalist for the Monitor in Iraq when she was kidnapped by insurgents. The articles were her story of the abduction and the 82 days that followed. I read most of the articles but quickly became too busy with the daily tasks of being a deployed intelligence officer to finish all of them.

I was reminded of Jill and her story while reading The Forever War by Dexter Filkins. Filkins' book is about his time as a journalist in Afghanistan both prior to and after 9/11 but primarily focuses on his time covering the Iraq War. The abduction of Carroll is mentioned in Filkins' book and so I took the time to read all the articles again.

There are 11 total articles and they aren't short. However, they are a great look into the dynamics and beliefs of an insurgent organization in Iraq in early 2006 as well as the mental fortitude of a woman who had no idea if she would survive the ordeal. It's a powerful and emotional story to read.

The Jill Carroll Story: Part I

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Epilogue

No comments:

Post a Comment