Monday, March 21, 2011

When have a few cruise missiles stopped anything?

There isn't much catching my interest in the insurgency world and I'm not quite ready to dive back into stories of previous deployments so I will continue with my thoughts on current events in the Middle East.

Score 1 for the dictators. The king of Bahrain and his security forces have removed the peaceful protesters (with some help from his Saudi and Emirate buddies) as well as destroyed the memorial arch in Pearl Square that was a rallying point for demonstrators. King Hamad has even gone so far as to blame the protests on Iranian meddling. Yeah, because all oppressed Shia are merely puppets of the Ayatollah. As much as I think the Shia should start an insurgency/civil war in Bahrain, the country is practically a textbook example of the perfect situation for a counterinsurgent (small island, dispersed towns, desert). Yes Kyle, I do learn something from the books I steal from you.

How much longer will Yemen's President Saleh hold out? You know your days are numbered when even your own tribe won't back you up. Generals switching sides and joining the anti-government demonstrators doesn't help your case either. I have a feeling Yemen will be a mess for quite some time.

And then there is Libya. So a no-fly zone has been established, whoopity doo. That no-fly zone is only going to delay the inevitable...pro-Gadhafi forces crushing the rebellion. Don't get me wrong, I want Gadhafi gone, I just don't think destroying Libya's anti-air radar, command and control sites, and combat aircraft are going to do much in the way of helping the rebellion in the long run. Only boots on the ground will stop Gadhafi, and the US is a little busy right now with two other major operations...and I don't see anyone else attempting an invasion and occupation of Libya.

We're going to come out looking like suckers when Benghazi finally falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment